Thursday, January 11, 2007

Are you from outer space?

>This morning I was flipping through The Read-Aloud Handbookin search of the answer to a question someone had asked me, and came across Space Race.Jim Trelease says "It is a bit sad that some truly worthy books were overlooked in the hullabaloo over Harry Potter, and this is a case in point". I totally agree. This book and its two sequels were on the shelf in my school library when I started working there, and I tried to read as many books as possible in my collection, so I picked it up...and couldn't put it down...and couldn't wait to read the rest of the series. Imagine an 11-year old boy, happy with his friends and school, who is actually from another planet and does not want to return when his father says it's time. In its sequel,Earthborna twelve year old girl is in the same situation, although it comes as a complete surprise to her when his parents tell her the family is not from Earth and must leave. Upper elementary students will love these books!

No comments: