Monday, January 8, 2007

In memory of Jeannette Caines

---one of my favorite African-American authors. She wrote a number of picture books; this one was a Reading Rainbow book! One of the reasons I am her fan is my serendipitous meeting with her some years ago, in Charlottesville, Virginia. I was attending the Dogwood Festival parade there, and was sitting on the steps of the downtown library, waiting for the parade to start. Of course I was reading, what else would I be doing if I'm sitting down? Ms. Caines sat down beside me and introduced herself and said, "I would like to meet you, since you are the only one reading, of all these thousands of people." We went on to talk for several hours, throughout the parade, and exchanged contact information. Sadly, I did not get together with her again, and she died in 2004 due to complications from cancer treatment. Let's don't forget this wonderful woman. Be sure to read Just Us Women and all her other books.
Click here for more information about her life and career.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful Author!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wow! The story of how you met her is so amazing!