Friday, January 5, 2007

Read to your baby!

OK, here is one of my "don't get me started" issues. If you have children, you need to start reading to them at birth (or earlier--many parents do, and studies have shown that newborn babies recognize books that were read aloud by their mother before they were born!)The way children learn language is by hearing it, and the more they hear, the better they will be at talking, thinking, and learning. My standard gift to new babies is a book, and I cringe when the parent says "I can't wait til he is old enough for me to read to him". I have to think of a way to say nicely, "Guess what, he is already". For the youngest kids, the name of the game is repetition, so choose the books carefully to find ones you won't mind reading and hearing many, many times. This new book will give you tips and suggestions:BABY READ-ALOUD BASICS: Fun And Interactive Ways to Help Your Little One Discover the World of Words.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Kudos! It definitely works! My daughter started reading fluently at 4 yrs old and my son who is a 1st grader reads at a 3rd grade level or higher. They love to listen to their parents voices. And they LOVE when you put expression and character into your voice. They will laugh and find reading fun.

Christine said...

We read all the time. My baby's four now, but he loves to read. Well, be read to, although he has started recognizing short words.

We've gone through favorites like "Hippos Go Berserk", "Pajama Time", and "I Stink", to "Green Eggs and Ham", "Go Dog Go", and "Put me in the Zoo".

The current favorites are "Bad Kitty" and "Flat Stanley."

I've read Flat Stanley five times in the last four days.

Anonymous said...

I agree~ My husband and I started reading every night to my belly during my whole pregnancy to get us into the habit of reading books to our son. It was an excellent way for my husband to feel like he was part of the pregnancy. Plus I think it helped with our sons brain growth he was speaking at 4 months!