Friday, January 12, 2007

Jigsaw puzzles keep kids busy for hours!

My kids loved to do puzzles,beginning with puzzles with only a few pieces and working up to those with 500 or more. Puzzles develop visual and spatial skills, and give a sense of accomplishment when they're completed--most of all, they're fun to do! For years we had a Christmas tradition of putting several puzzles out on the dining table, and everyone worked on them in shifts. The brand we liked the most was Ravensburger; they have such beautiful, clear pictures of things that interest kids. Their puzzles range from 6 piece wooden puzzles to intricate picture puzzles with thousands of pieces.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I <3 puzzles!

Anonymous said...

Puzzles don't keep my son busy for hours, but they do buy me 30 minutes to cook dinner! My 4-year-old is a fan of the Disney show "American Dragon," so I recently purchased the "Dragons Jigsaw Book" from Usborne. On each spread there's info about dragons as well as a puzzle--six puzzles in all. The coolest thing about the book is it grows with his ability. The picture of what the completed puzzle looks like is under the puzzle pieces so he can match the pieces to the picture or he can dump out the pieces and complete the puzzle on the floor. We've been working on geography lately so I think I'm going to get the "Jigsaw Atlas of North America" next.