Friday, February 2, 2007

Do your kids do origami?

I used to do origami (Japanese paper-folding) with my 2nd graders. There are a number of very easy patterns that kids enjoy doing. At that age, they needed my help and I learned that if I wore a solid color shirt and held up a large sheet of origami paper against my shirt and had them copy what I was doing, most could follow along. You'll need some instructions for things to make, and a piece of origami paperfor each child. If you're not familiar with origami paper, it's colored paper that is white on the back side and is square. You can make your own paper from giftwrap, but it's labor-intensive to cut out the squares. If you need larger paper to demonstrate to the kids, you may want to make a few large squares for yourself from some giftwrap.
Easy Origami (Reading Rainbow Books)is a good book with simple patterns kids 2nd grade and up can do with help. It's like anything else you try with your kids: there are some kids who really enjoy it and have a flair for it, and may want to move on to harder patterns later on. There are many, many books out there on origami, and my advice is that the person who's doing it should preview the book: some patterns are hard to follow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Origami is a great stress releaver!
Fun for people 7-adult