Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Don't forget the fairy tales and folk tales!

Are you reading fairy tales and folk tales to your children? One thing I didn't realize for a while when I went to the library with my kids (way before I went to library school) is that these books are often in a separate place from the other picture books. Go over to the books with the Dewey numbers and look through the 398's for fairy tales and folk tales. Cinderellais a good place to start. There are many different versions of Cinderella, astonishingly different illustrations and retellings of the story. Just look at this version of Cinderella where the illustrations are so different from my featured story, and the story is different as well. Find a version of the story you like and read it several times to your children. After that, try another version. Let them compare and contrast the two different versions of the story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.